New member needing advice

I have managed to change it with a normal PIR detector and wired as brown - live, grey neutral, black - light load and tried doing some daylight testing but couldn't - although the sensor does work at night.

I don't understand why I can't get any lights to come on in daylight! Could there be another dusk till dawn sensor on the circuit which is stopping me being able to turn lights on during the day?

If it works at night then that proves Grey IS neutral.
Pirs have a built in light sensor, you can usually see the hole were the lens is, cover with black tape and it will work in daylight.
Usually there is an adjuster dial on the pir.
there is a "moon" symbol and a "sun" symbol, turn it to the "sun" symbol and the unit will then work in daylight.
A switch would it seems be wired across brown and Black

Sponsored Links
Grey is N.

But is brown the switch wire and black the live feed or vice versa?

Grey is N. But is brown the switch wire and black the live feed or vice versa?
Since, as I understand it, we're only talking about simple on/off switching, it shouldn't matter which (of brown and black) is which, should it?

Kind Regards, John

If Caroline wants to fit a switch with a neon locator, distinction will need to be made between the live and switched live conductors.

Sponsored Links
But that can be done by trail and error. If the neon stays on all the time, then it's connected to the permanent live - so just swap the two live wires at the switch.

But that can be done by trail and error. If the neon stays on all the time, then it's connected to the permanent live - so just swap the two live wires at the switch.
Exactly - and we can now, when appropriate, talk about 'trial and error' without too dire consequences :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back