Trying to fit a dusk to dawn sensor with an override switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a porch light with a seperate dusk to dawn sensor.

I would like to add a switch into the circuit so I can switch it on earlier or switch it off completely.

Any ideas how to wires this?

Cheers,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Does your dawn/dusk sensor have an over-ride facility on it so you can switch it on?
If not easiest thing replace it with a normal switch so you can switch it on/off when you like.

In commercial applications, we fit an MK two position rocker. (m/clad grid)

Centre is off completely.

Top is AUTO (switched by cell).

Bottom is override, switching the load on.

Typically used in commercial applications. The switch is usually placed out of site somewhere, such as a plant room (usually next to associated contactor if there is one). The switch is used by maintenance staff for re-lamping etc.

As for a diagram.......no, I don't have one, but may make one when time permits.

do you really need a diagram?! just get a center off rocker (e.g. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK4899.html , unfortunately MK only do it as a grid module so you will need the other associated grid bits), the live from the photocell to L1 and a permanent live to L2 and connect COM to the live side of the light.

Sponsored Links
My method is a standard 2 gang plate.

One switch in series with the live to the fitting. This provides over ride OFF

The other switch between live (after the over ride OFF) and switched lived from the fitting. This provides override ON.

My method is a standard 2 gang plate.

One switch in series with the live to the fitting. This provides over ride OFF

The other switch between live (after the over ride OFF) and switched lived from the fitting. This provides override ON.

Two switches can confuse...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back