simple dusk dawn sensor question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks,

excuse my newbie question but i'm wanting to fit a couple of outdoor lamps to either side of my garage with a seperate dusk/dawn switch.... thing is, the sensor of the switch would be easiest mounted near the bulb (within 20 inches)..

so, would this mean the switch wouldn't work as the light would turn it off etc?

told you it was a daft one but not sure if they are more sophisticated than me

Sponsored Links
not so daft! mount sensor above level of lamp if poss. a bright light could cause it to switch off as soon as lit. if not poss. a side cover to shield sensor from nearest light may be simple way. even a bit of gaffa tape or black paint will work as long as top surface kept clean.
Fit it and see if it works ok first, they are usually pretty imune from such problems as daylight is brighter than most artificial light.

You can buy an energy saving lamp with a built-in dusk/dawn sensor.

Sponsored Links
It is usual to have the sensor well away from the light. Most work best if they are pointing north.

You can also get ones that come on at dusk and stay on for a pre-determined time (1-8 hours) as well as to stay on until dawn.
here's one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back