DAWN TO DUSK PLUS MOTION SENSOR LED BULB:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I believe this question was raised 15 years ago but technology has moved on!

My neighbour has an outside wall-mounted security lantern - it comes on at dusk and off at dawn. But additionally, after dusk, if it detects motion the light increases in brightness for a short time. I can't find such a bulb (or lantern) anywhere, can anyone suggest a supplier?? (My neighbour's was supplied by his electrician so he does not know its source).

Regards.

Sponsored Links
I did a search as you suggested and found a few suppliers. Hilo PIR lights seem very expensive (£60-90) vs normal dawn to dusk models (£20-30) - there was me thinking modern technology was as cheap as chips!

Sponsored Links
Very true, fish & chips is almost a luxury now - about £10 at my local chippy.

I have a couple of SUMGOTT, solar powered, 3-head, PIR's. Had them about 3-4 years now so probably got them from Amazon.
Each movable head has about 20-30 led's, (maybe more but I can't be bothered going out to count them), which give off quite powerful beams of light.
They come on at dusk, (quite bright for a few minutes), then dim down but stay lit. If someone trips the beam, (270º range I think), then they glow bright whilst in the area and for a few minutes after leaving the area. Can't remember how much they cost but certainly wouldn't have been more than £30
Something similar to this.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I checked your link and it seems that particular model only comes on at dusk when it detects any motion (powerful enough to illuminate a football pitch!) and after a short while it goes off. Yours is probably a more refined model?

I use a dust to dawn smart switch, it can supply two lamps, one with PIR and one without which would do the same thing, I find local cats set off the PIR, so only powered dusk until 11 pm and 5 am to dawn, all programmed into the switch.

To get a bulb to dim is not as easy as it was, LED bulbs do not seem to like being dimmed to less than 5 watt, so today only method seems to be two bulbs.

That's one solution and I did see some more elaborate fixes in much earlier posts.
I did find a few lanterns under hilo PIR as mentioned earlier but they seemed quite pricey. Actually I could simply get a dawn to dusk light and take advantage of my neighbour's motion sensor! - we have adjoining kitchens on the sides of our houses and I seem to trigger it most times from within if I simply walk past my window, as would anyone outside!

I have a whole mixture around my house, starting at front door a CFL on a simple switch, and another CFL with PIR on same switch at corner of house, then on the pond end of drive a pedestal lamp plugged into outside socket with a smart bulb fitted, then next corner a integral LED carriage lamp powered from a smart socket adaptor, then the one by back door, the one everyone uses with letter box, a PIR lamp on a smart switch set dusk to dawn, then a bulkhead lamp on another smart socket adaptor, then a carriage lamp next corner and one matching it on last corner both with smart bulbs which can be switched off next to first two. Different makes, but all can be imported to google home, so a simple voice command hey google turn on/off outside lights does all but two.

Also can do same with phone using the google home app, so as we get near home either my wife or I will turn on all the lights, some can have geofencing, one slowly dims before it switches off, the switches can be paired to a PIR but not done it, see no reason to make it easy for intruders.

The cost if you add it all up is silly as did not stick to one make, so have 4 hubs. The back lamps were £2 each, the front integral one £4 but the bulbs around £10 for smart ones, and the socket adaptors £10, the switches £20 and the hub £15 but I am looking at 6 lights which I can turn off with a voice command. Since in the car to turn on, use my phone.

The new stuff is TPLink (tapo) the old stuff Energenie, but what I would say is look at what you may want in the future, the same hub which does my Energenie light switch also does the TRV's but with TPLink it needed a different hub (Kasa) many use the zigbee hub, so you need to do an overview of what you may want in the future.

I went to Tapo because the light switch works without a neutral but does not pass current through the bulb to work it, it has two AAA batteries that can be changed without removing switch. I had problems with Energenie light switches with a shimmer when on, and dim light when off, and of 5 only 2 still working. This is over 5 years or so. But Tapo is new, so not tested for long.

With my landing light I wanted a low light at night to go to loo, but brighter light most of the time, so used a zigbee relay so centre bulb switched independent to outer four, there are so many options, that it is hard to select which.

To get a bulb to dim is not as easy as it was, LED bulbs do not seem to like being dimmed to less than 5 watt, so today only method seems to be two bulbs.

The way to dim LED lamps, is via on/off duty cycling. On for a period/ off for a period, very rapidly. So rapidly the eye doesn't notice. The longer the off, compared to the on the dimmer they appear.

The way to dim LED lamps, is via on/off duty cycling. On for a period/ off for a period, very rapidly. So rapidly the eye doesn't notice. The longer the off, compared to the on the dimmer they appear.
Yes the mark/space ratio works well, and at around 300 hz you will not notice the flashing, but many older systems work at 50 hz, and chop the existing wave form on our supply, which we can detect, it was OK with a tungsten bulb where the bulb stayed hot between the pulses, so we did not see the flashes, but not with LED.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back