Dusk to Dawn bulb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I would like my outdoor soffit lights to come on at nights and off in the morning. I currently have a row of 6 sealed unit type bulbs along the soffits. I was thinking, could I replace the end fitting with a standard fitting, and fit a GU10 dusk to dawn bulb? Would that work the other interlinked bulbs or just that one?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Would that work the other interlinked bulbs or just that one?
Thanks

I would not expect so, the whole supply to the entire row of lamps would need to turn on and off, by some other means. How about Alexa combined with a Smart Switch, or Smart Plug adaptor. You could set Alexa to switch on at dusk, + or - a set amount of time. Alexa could also turn them off in the evening, rather than at dawn, if you wanted. I do exactly that, with my drive lighting.

Sponsored Links
There are light switches that have timers, or light sensors, or both.

That turns off after a preset number of hours, after dusk which is rather limited usefulness. Say dusk at 4pm, and run time 3 hours - they would off at 7pm. During summer, dusk at 9pm, the go off at midnight. A set actual time is more useful - mine come on at dusk, off at 11pm.

I also have a collection of outside lights, most connected to the google Nest \Mini's, some have fade out, some have dust to dawn with a off time say 10 pm to 6 am, some are simple timers, some just use the smart phone when they are required, the problem is until you install the app for the smart bulb you don't know what it will do, in the main I use the off command set for 10 pm, as I forget to turn them off, and just turn on as required.

You can get smart relays, which can fit inside switches (if there is a neutral) or the light, but I tend to use commands like hey google turn off all lights, and google does not see the relay as a light.

The main advantage with the smart bulb is you can also set how bright and colour, however I do some times look at local church with it's colour changing lights and wonder if appropriate to make it into a red light area?

as I forget to turn them off, and just turn on as required.

You can simply say 'turn on for two hours' etc., it avoids forgetting.

Harry - who has just worked out how to set Alexa to remind him of which of the 3x colour bin needs to be put out the night before, on a fortnightly rota ;)

I am also making lots of use of Alexa, to time cooking and items in the oven.

Good point, I was trying to set it using google home, not voice commands. Must give it a try.

Using voice commands, I could not find a way to set the start date of the two weeks, so I ended up editing that directly in the Alexa software, to get it in sync.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back