Is there any masking tape that won’t take paint off the wall when removed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I am going be painting skirting boards with white gloss and was going to use masking tape on the walls. However, I have heard that when the masking tape is removed it can strip paint off the walls. There seems to be a large variety of the Frog masking tapes and was wondering if any of them would be worth using and would I be able to avoid paint coming off the walls by using them? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Only a DIY'er, but I've found the frog delicate surface tape to be really handy stuff.
As with most things, read the instructions - they recommend that you remove the tape as soon as you've finished the painting.
If you need two coats of gloss, to minimise the risk of paint coming off, apply the tape again, or don't quite paint to the edge! :)

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Only a DIY'er, but I've found the frog delicate surface tape to be really handy stuff.
As with most things, read the instructions - they recommend that you remove the tape as soon as you've finished the painting.
If you need two coats of gloss, to minimise the risk of paint coming off, apply the tape again, or don't quite paint to the edge! :)
Have you used the tape on emulsion painted walls?

PVC tape is quite good, I find it much easier to work with than masking tape, except with oil-based paints when it causes trouble. Again, remove it sharpish- and yes I've used it on emulsion painted walls

Have you used the tape on emulsion painted walls?
Yes, used on emulsioned walls.
PVC tape is quite good, I find it much easier to work with than masking tape, except with oil-based paints when it causes trouble. Again, remove it sharpish- and yes I've used it on emulsion painted walls
(y) I've also found PVC tape to be good, especially to get nice straight silicone lines around baths.
Though you do have to be wary about the stretch in the tape, if you want to maintain a perfectly straight line!

Have you tried cutting it in by hand? I don't use tape on mine.

If you do use tape then make sure the bottom of the walls are wiped down before painting to remove any dust that may stop the wall paint sticking.

Have you tried cutting it in by hand? I don't use tape on mine.

If you do use tape then make sure the bottom of the walls are wiped down before painting to remove any dust that may stop the wall paint sticking.
I am a fairly novice painter so not sure how good I would be at cutting in to be honest…

I am a fairly novice painter so not sure how good I would be at cutting in to be honest…
As long as you've done your preparation (sanding, sealing knotholes, caulking any gaps to the walls) and you use a good brush and decent paint, cutting in is fairly easy. If you're having to wodge a load of paint on to fill knotholes and gaps and other surface defects it gets much more difficult.
Best bet- mask a section (metre or so) after you've prepped then try it with masking as a backup

Worth a try - I find it much easier cutting in skirting than wall joints! Its not above you and you are not balancing on something...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back