is there any other types of m.d.f?

Sponsored Links
well i have seen

fire resitant

flexible

water resistant, i think

and a variety of thickness's but at the end of the day it is still MDF.

We may be able to help more if you tell exactly what the question is instead of just 'is there any other types of m.d.f?'

Low formaldehyde is the safest but more expensive as normal MDF contains high amounts of formaldehyde which is a colourless pungent gas used as a disinfectant and preservative and in the manufacture of synthetic resins.
formic acid + aldehyde so is similar to an ant sting where formic acid is what hurts.

Mostly OK. MDF actually contains urea formaldehyde. Google for MDF and formaldehyde for much more information.
But in relation to the ant sting theory - be very careful not to assume that a compound has the characteristics of any of the parts that make it up. Otherwise none of us would be willing to pour a very active metal (sodium) and a poisonous gas (chlorine) onto our dinner.

Sponsored Links
For information regarding MDF read the Keith the woodsmiths guide to MDF.
You may recognise the pen name he uses in The Woodworker magazine and a number of woodworking forums where his expertise is well known.

You can get
Standard
lightweight
ultra light weight
moisture resistant
external
fire resistant
flexible (long & short grain)
colour core
white faced
melamine coated
groved & beaded
Veneered

Thats as many as I can think of at the moment.

Jason

From experience Jason, if you dont know about it then is doesn't exist. lol :LOL:

Just to be pedantic, I don't think that lightweight is actually MDF but LDF, and the white-faced variety is HDF.

I would still class the lightweight and ultralight as MDF with densities of 600 and 500kg/cu mtr respectively as MDF with LDF being more like Sundela board.

The white faced is definatly MDF and not to be confused with white faced hardboard which is a much dencer product.

And the few that I forgot: Low formaldehyde, zero formaldehyde and high dencity.

Jason

High density is HDF (high density fibreboard), not MDF (medium density fibreboard).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back