Is there some reason a loft in a 2nd floor flat has plasterboard seperating the section above the s from the rest of the loft? Maybe fire regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a section just above the stairs that is double plaster boarded with inspiration in between the plaster boards.
There is an old velux window with a lath and plaster surround at the top.

I am wondering if the double plasterboard and insulation is a fire regulation?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think you're right. We had to build a 'party wall' in our terrace house loft years ago to mitigate the spread of fire. Building regs!

Pfft those poxy Building Regs Nazis always trying to make buildings better/safer. Screw 'em I say, are you with me brother?

Pfft those poxy Building Regs Nazis always trying to make buildings better/safer. Screw 'em I say, are you with me brother?
Don't get me wrong. Building regs are needed of course, but sometimes their demands are unreasonable. One example is the insistence on the use of hellishly expensive Celotex, Kingspan etc. You'll probably know that after 7 years, the thermal properties of this stuff drops to the point where it's equal to Jablite EPS, which costs circa 75% less. That's a big hit for a young couple trying to do a loft conversion.
But yes, some inspectors can get a little... power crazy! Lol

Sponsored Links
Allegedly, the conductivity figures for Kingspan etc quoted in the spiel apparently allow for the off gassing over time. At least that's what BS EN 13165 states.
:censored:

Last edited:
Nonsense.
Apparently not. This from 'Insulation UK' (if you're interested):
'Expanded polystyrene will last the lifetime of any building where it’s installed. The thermal performance of EPS does not degrade over time, meaning the U-value you first achieve with EPS will not change. Unlike other insulation materials, like PIR, EPS does not off-gas, meaning the thermal conductivity stated on the Declaration of Performance certificate is what you’ll receive.'

Apparently not. This from 'Insulation UK' (if you're interested):
'Expanded polystyrene will last the lifetime of any building where it’s installed. The thermal performance of EPS does not degrade over time, meaning the U-value you first achieve with EPS will not change. Unlike other insulation materials, like PIR, EPS does not off-gas, meaning the thermal conductivity stated on the Declaration of Performance certificate is what you’ll receive.'
I'm disputing the mythical PIR figures not the EPS ones. I wonder which vested interest, rival insulation company, came up with the numbers you claim? Let me guess - an EPS company perhaps?

after 7 years, the thermal properties of this stuff drops to the point where it's equal to Jablite EPS,

I've fully renovated six properties and our inspector has acknowledged the fact that the performance of PIR drops significantly after 7-10 years, but he still wouldn't allow the installation of EPS as a substitute because, although that would make financial sense to those who plan to stay long-term in their properties, it wouldn't help the country's 'Net Zero' figures in the short-term.
My most recent project escaped the scrutiny of BC so my insulation bill has dropped by circa 66%. We're staying here, so that works perfectly.

I'm disputing the mythical PIR figures not the EPS ones. I wonder which vested interest, rival insulation company, came up with the numbers you claim? Let me guess - an EPS company perhaps?
The company sell EPS and PIR, so it's not in their interests to promote one over the other.

I've fully renovated six properties and our inspector has acknowledged the fact that the performance of PIR drops significantly after 7-10 years,
I've not heard any BCO's mention this (significant loss) at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back