Strengthening loft floor to building regulations.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a small cottage and am in the process of refurbishing it. In a few years time, I plan to do a loft conversion, but whilst the place is in the mess that it is, I would like to see if I can have a proper floor installed in advance. All the ceilings are down now, so with the easy access to the loft area, I think it would be cost effective to maybe sort it out now.

The property is built of stone in a simple rectangle. Approx 4.5M wide x 6.5M long, with a new solid block wall going through the centre.

Would it simply be a matter of running new joists up to required thickness, between the external and central walls and bedding them into the stone, slightly raised so that they're not touching the ceiling below?

Also, regarding the first floor ceilings, would they need to be double boarded for fire regulations or is single sufficient, when it comes to the plastering?

*There is a space for a staircase on the first floor, for one to fit, up to building regulations requirements. The stairs should finish in the centre, just against the wall, so plenty of height.

20160703_201544.jpg

Attachments

• 20160703_201538.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 508
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back