Is there still a Requirement for earth electrodes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is there still a requirement for earth electrodes to be installed on an outbuilding if you are running a feed from the house to a garage type building?

Plus is it still regs that you earth the cable from the house but not at the outbuilding end?

or can i get away with not installing an electrode at the outbuilding?

thanks

Sponsored Links
What earth system are you planning to export?

And are there and Extraeneous conductive parts in the shed?

ive just read up on it, and im running SWA from the house so the Steel will be earthed from the house and if there are no extranoeus in the garage then i can earth the garage from the house ill RCD the circuits in the garage and not from the house, but if there are extraneous ill earth the steel from the house to garage then stop it there and put a stake in for the garage and 10mm earth for extraneous

Sponsored Links
ive just read up on it, and im running SWA from the house so the Steel will be earthed from the house and if there are no extranoeus in the garage then i can earth the garage from the house ill RCD the circuits in the garage and not from the house, but if there are extraneous ill earth the steel from the house to garage then stop it there and put a stake in for the garage and 10mm earth for extraneous
A sound plan.

I would advise against using rods as a DIYer, with a rod you never really know what it's impedance will be until you test it.

I would just use 10mm SWA with a core for earth so that if anything needs main bonding your earth is fat enough to be part of a PME main bond.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back