Is there such a thing as a dedicated pipe inscriber?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've got some steam pipe which is about 60mm diameter and thick-walled. I'd like to inscribe a line across the circumference (prior to grinding). Is there such a thing as a pipe/tube inscriber? If not, I'm thinking of getting a plastic tube cutter and using that (because you can get these for large pipes). Thanks. Rich

Sponsored Links
Well, the obvious candidates for a heavy duty pipe slice would have to be the firms which make industrial plumbing tools, namely Rems, Rigid and Rothenberger (who between them make powered pipe threaders, crimpers, etc). To that you can add Irwin-Record who still make the old Record roller pipe cutters, and maybe Faithfull do a knock-off of this as they do with so many old Record products (don't know, but Faithful copies are cheaper than the OEM stuff). Either way these are very expensive tools (circa £150 to £250) so maybe looking on eBay would bag you a cheap secondhand one, or you could always hire one for the day (HSS and Jewson both list them)

Edit: Just found that Silverline do a lightweight cutter capable of cutting copper pipe up to 64mm (part no. 868825). This won't be heavy enough to cut your pipe, but at least it should be able to mark it. £14.80 on Amazon today

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. I think I'll buy the Silverline product (868825) and use that to get a mark on my steam pipes. Then use a grinder to get a half-decent accurate cut.

Sponsored Links
If you just want to mark the pipe, couldn't you just wrap a strip of masking tape round it (then use a felt-tip pen to go over the edge of the tape if required).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back