Compressed ridge on cut copper pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new the forum, so I'll start off with a hi to everyone :) Great to a have a community of DIY'ers helping each other out.

I'm also new to plumbing work. I thought I'd get some kit and a 15mm copper pipe and start practising. One thing I've noticed when cutting the pipe (with a pipe slice in particular) is that the end that is cut is left compressed inwards, reducing the diameter of pipe slightly. It's not so much of an issue when I use the larger tube cutter where I can control the pressure applied.

I've tried using the reaming tool on the larger cutter to reduce / remove this ridge but not to much avail. Removing burrs is not the problem, it's this ridge. Or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
I have never had any problems leaving the burr as it is.

It always happens with wheel cutters, its not normally an issue, can be with gas as over a complex run with multiple cuts each one adds a little restriction to the gas (as it will with water) but the pressure that mains is under will usually negate that.

If there was an issue, then its hacksaw and file/deburring tool to prevent it.

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the forum Danny (y)

If you do a lot of copper work, buy a pipe prep tool, it will deburr, re-round the end of the pipe and prepare it for soldering. I use mine all the time.

th

The only issue with the inward ridge is if you want to use a pipe bending spring - it can't be inserted unless you completely remove the ridge, which takes quite a bit of work with a file.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back