Using an automatic pipe cutter on 15mm copper pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have 2 questions, which I hope you can answer:

1. If I cut the 15mm copper pipe feeding my kitchen tap using an automatic pipe / tube cutter (Screwfix 36198), will it leave sharp metal burrs at the cut edge that would need filing off?

2. Does the pipe cutter slide onto the pipe easily by stretching it open, or can it only be used on pipes before they are joined together, if I've described that correctly?

Thank you for your advice.

Mutley56

Sponsored Links
The cutting wheel retracts on a spring for placing the cutter over the pipe.

It does leave a bur/lip on the inside of the pipe that you should get rid of, but it isn't the end of the world if you forget.

1, It does leave a sharp edge but not that needs filing everytime you do a cut, only if you silly enough to stick your finger up the pipe after a cut.

2, Yes it just slides over the pipe, The cutting wheel works on a kind of spring inside.

As for the second part of question 2 ?? :confused:

Thanks for the advice Dan_Robinson,

Do you use a small round / pig tail type metal file to clean the burr?

Thanks.

Mutley56

Sponsored Links
no 1 yes buy and use item 64643, int/ext pipe deburrer
no 2 no and yes to part two of that question
you generally cut the pipework to length before fixing/soldering together,that pipeslice you have just pushes directly onto the pipe with a small amount of force and then twist to cut.twist the wrong way and it comes back off.
try not to cut close to the end of a piece of pipe, say within 25mm of the end

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back