Is thermal displacement bad? And other issues.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
icon1.gif
Help! Is this affordable to fix?
So I am in the process of buying a 1930s semi and just had the homebuyers report back. Now, I correctly own a Victorian terrace so am not afraid of damp/ cracks etc but the survey has thrown up a few large issues and I really need to know if they are as bad as they sound/expensive to fix. Here goes:

"The current owners initiated an insurance enquiry in relation to cracks noted to the internal landing partition wall between the gable end and bedroom. This was noted to be long standing in nature and at risk of thermal displacement between the masonry sections."
What does this mean? How much to correct? Is it bad?

Cracks above the entrance archway were also,repaired with a patch repair scheme initiated. Helifix or rods were installed within the mortar bed joints." Is this an issue?

Am upgraded lintel,is also required for,above the rear patio doors given localised cracks/deflection. Is this expensive?

An insulation panel under the stairs is believed to contain asbestos.we were planning to put a toilet under the stairs so this would be an issue. Is this expensive to deal with?

Thanks all-any advice on what to do next/ how to proceed would really help! Should I try and get money knocked off- if so how much or should I send someone else round to have a look more in depth?

Sponsored Links
Thermal displacement is a stupid phrase from a poxy surveyor.

What this means is that as you use the house and heat it up and it cools down, the internal walls will contact and expand a little and this causes cracks at junctions with walls and ceilings.

It's more of an aesthetic thing than structural. Caulk can sometimes be enough at wall and ceiling junctions.

The other items are not expensive. They are what they are if you want the house.

Thanks woody. I know to take these reports with a pinch of salt and I must admit I googled thermal displacement and nothing came up so it did make me wonder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back