Is this a breach of Building Regs

D

DR23

I had an kitchen extension done and the work isn't great, I believe the insulation under the floor (wooden suspended) breaches building regs, The joists are 160mm approx and they have used 100mm mineral wool hung by netting in some places and what appears to be fence wire in others. There is a gap of about 50-60mm if not more between the floor boards (green chipboard type) and the mineral wool and there is no VCL. Would this breach building regs?

Attachments

• 20180527_141144.jpg
    20180527_141144.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 267
  • 20180527_141246.jpg
    20180527_141246.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 324
  • 20180516_130641.jpg
    20180516_130641.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 278
Sponsored Links
It may do in terms of insulation thickness, or it may be compensated for elsewehere. No VCL and netting/wire is OK

The real issue would be what does the specification say?

And if it "isn't great" why aren't you asking the builders to make it great, if you are paying for it?

There is no particular spec the work was done on a building notice, but I cant see the correct U value being achieved with what they have done and the insulation isn't doing anything the way it is.
The builders were asked to put things right during the work but ignored us, so were thrown off, there is a catalogue of bodges including structural damage, just needed to know if this was a breach of building regs for court.

I doubt it complies with elemental values.

It could be compensated elsewhere.

If its shy and spotted by the building inspector, it would need rectifying in order to get a completion certificate.

Its not hard to rectify if access is still available.

Sponsored Links
There is no way of getting to it, they insisted that the whole floor even under kitchen units be tiled. Compensated elsewhere in what way? The only other insulation is in the roof, foam ( warm insulation) of 130mm and in the two new external walls which is 100mm mineral wool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back