Brick block shed - building regs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,
I would need some clarification from the experts whether I need to apply for building regs or not.

I spoken to planning officer and I had been told that likely plans will be accepted.

Measurements from the outside
5.39m x 3.60m
height - 3m max dual pitch roof
140mm x 440mm x 215mm brick block to be used
insulated from the outside with 10cm rigid mineral wool and silicone painted.

Does that mean if I build it no closer than 1m from the boundary I could build it without build regs. or I can't because total height is 3m not 2.5m?

And what if I decide to build it under PD, if I reduce building height to 2.5m can I build closer than 1m from the boundary then?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hello guys,
I would need some clarification from the experts whether I need to apply for building regs or not.

I spoken to planning officer and I had been told that likely plans will be accepted.

Measurements from the outside
5.39m x 3.60m
height - 3m max dual pitch roof
140mm x 440mm x 215mm brick block to be used
insulated from the outside with 10cm rigid mineral wool and silicone painted.

Does that mean if I build it no closer than 1m from the boundary I could build it without build regs. or I can't because total height is 3m not 2.5m?

And what if I decide to build it under PD, if I reduce building height to 2.5m can I build closer than 1m from the boundary then?

Thank you in advance.

You are confusing building regs with planning!

building regs:
between 15 and 30 square metres and closer than 1 metre to boundary -needs regs

further than 1 metre -doesnt need regs

more than 30 square metres -needs regs any way

electrics: notifiable on any size.

The heights are to do with permitted development, ie closer than 2 metres to boundary means max roof or 2.5M, or apply for planning

Ok, thanks for the reply.
It is pretty confusing, however I think what you mean.

So to build it without need of building regs firstly I need to apply for PP (not enough space to build it further than 2m). Shed position against boundary no lesser than 1m.
Do you know how are they measure it from? From the main wall? What about external insulation or gutter? Do I need to take it under consideration and build further away?

Thank you.

I thought you could go closer than a meter if it's mainly built from non combustible materials?

I built mine right upto the rear and side boundarys, 2.5mtrs high and 29.9999sq/mtrs.

Sponsored Links
no sleeping accommodation no planning required on the boundary [less than than 1m] needs to be less than 15sqm and below 2.5m
between 15 and 30 may need to comply with building regs

Building regs 30m2 limit applies to internal floor area, in case anyone planning something. So walls and over hang are not included

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back