Is this a drain off valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably a daft question but...

I have two water pipes in a downstairs bathroom sink that have obvious drain valves where the bit tees off that the hose goes on to, but on the radiators there are only these, I’m sure they are, but I can only think I’ll undo them, and water will **** out everywhere until I get the hose on, or am I missing something?

I’m replacing these two 15mm water pipes and I’m assuming all water needs draining from the radiators too, or are the 10mm and 15mm pipes two separate systems? Boiler is a Baxi Duo Tec combi.

Thanks

Attachments

• 8A49DDAB-C90B-4A2B-A52F-78070C5AA899.jpeg
    8A49DDAB-C90B-4A2B-A52F-78070C5AA899.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 193
Sponsored Links
you close the valve, open the drain cock (same as bleeding a radiator) except you leave it open until it is drained , attach a hose then open the valve and the rad will drain down, remember to open the air bleed valve at the top of the rad to allow the water to drain down

you close the valve, open the drain cock (same as bleeding a radiator) except you leave it open until it is drained , attach a hose then open the valve and the rad will drain down, remember to open the air bleed valve at the top of the rad to allow the water to drain down

Thanks Ian, never thought to shut the valve but it makes total sense now you’ve said it.

Is it normal to find drain valves on both the rads and the water pipes?

I’m hoping to replace these two 15mm copper pipes with speed fit, which would in effect get rid of the drain valve, but if it’s needed then I’ll need to think of something else.

Attached a pic of the two pipes in the bathroom being replaced.

It’s being replaced as we are replacing everything in there and are removing the skirting boards the pipes are attached to (i also want isolation valves on them)

Attachments

• 31D16C3D-322E-48AE-A7F7-363ABE197AD5.jpeg
    31D16C3D-322E-48AE-A7F7-363ABE197AD5.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 144
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back