Is this a roof problem? (Help)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, seem to have water on the bricks. I’m thinking it’s leaking into the cavity and then finding it’s way out? Could be wrong!

thanks in advance

3C033D24-D5D4-405B-AD2F-C8E662161BFD.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Is there a radiator by the window? What heating system do you have? What’s the wall like inside?

Is there a radiator by the window? What heating system do you have? What’s the wall like inside?

Hi, yes there is a rad under the window.

Inside the house is completely dry. The feed / expansion tank is not filling up so don’t think it’s a leak.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
It's the windowsill.
Those massive cracks let water in and wet the wall.
To be repaired asap.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
It's the windowsill.
Those massive cracks let water in and wet the wall.
To be repaired asap.

yep it needs replacing. The cracks don’t go all the way through. I have seen the water a couple bricks up from the sill?

windows we’re installed 2 years ago, no cracks before with the old rotten wooden items. Could the installers have damaged the sill?

Window fitters will damage almost anything.
Doesn't look as if they've sealed the sides of the windows to the brickwork- could easily be getting some water in that way. The sill is the more likely culprit, are there cracks on the top surface as well?

Doesn't look as if they've sealed the sides of the windows to the brickwork- could easily be getting some water in that way. The sill is the more likely culprit, are there cracks on the top surface as well?

there are a few cracks but not like the size underneath. A bit of freeze/thaw action will soon sort that out!

just looking at some old pictures there seems to be no damage before the window was fitted then a little bit after and now has got a lot worse.

I wonder if they cracked it during installation and it’s been getting gradually worse with water and time.

The company is fully insured with a 10yr guarantee. I could get them out and they will obviously say it’s nothing to do with them. Or I could get a builder to investigate / repair and document…

Mmm. Window fitters guarantee - have a good look at it, when you get into the small print you usually find it is only the actual windows and glass that are guaranteed against manufacturing defects.
Not quite sure how that damage could be caused (unless it was cracked from day 1 and freeze and thaw has done the rest), I'd be amazed if you got anywhere with the window fitters, give them a try by all means but be prepared to get knocked back. If you're going to try the fitters you need to try before you get someone else in to fix it

Window bodgers drill with a hammer drill on top and bottom of the frame, without consideration for what's there and how old it is.
Most likely the did exactly that, created small cracks and then let nature do the rest.

Doesn't look as if they've sealed the sides of the windows to the brickwork- could easily be getting some water in that way.

Its highly likely the fitters sealed the gap first then fitted the trim on top, much neater finish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back