Is this a self-locking door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a front and back door with a Mila lock. I have checked all the way down them at the screws and locks parts which come out the door. Both doors look identical in this respect. The difference is that my front door self-locks when it closes. (once you're outside, you can't get back in without a key. But from the inside you can still open it any time.) - very useful, as I have lodgers who sometimes forget to physically lock the door on the outside.

At the back of the house my other identical looking door does not self lock. It leads out to an enclosed patio. However, I was wondering if there is some adjustment that can be made to it somewhere so that it would also self-lock in the same way? Ie, as soon as you go out and close the door, it locks. But from within you can still open it.

Here's a picture of the non self-locking door in question. It's only the central lock which is the applicable component, on the self-locking front door.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Take the handles off, you will find on the front door you have two short bars one for each handle, on the back door you will have one long bar that goes into BOTH handles, check the lock mechanism in the back door has two slots for two bars you could make it the same as the front by changing the handles so they work the same as the front door.

The main reason for the back being as it is, is that you do not get locked out hanging out the washing :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Thanks! I look forward to opening up the lock and checking what's inside. Hopefully I'll be able to put it back in, together again, without losing a thousand pieces in a second.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back