Is this a standard fitting for garden tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to change a garden tap (I think something has sheared inside by the feel of things), but having removed the tap I am wondering if it is a standard fitting or something a bit older and no longer available.

There's a soldered T joint that the tap attaches to, but the T has a captive nut, which so far as I can tell is not normal?

20210330_101854.jpg 20210330_101942.jpg 20210330_102034.jpg

The lady who operates the tap :) said she felt something snap inside when she used her not inconsiderable musculature to turn it off, and now it continuously rotates with a small click at a certain point.

Can I get a replacement tap for this, could I possibly fix the existing one, or am I better off replacing the terminal with a more modern design?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It looks more like a central heating drain. I'd get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it.
That’s just a drain cock fitted to tee, presumably to drain down the water in winter to prevent freezing.

Sponsored Links
Oops, silly me.
As I said, get someone who knows about these things, obviously not me.

do you have an image of the tap and the mount, as Chris_W looks like an olive in the NUT , it also looks like there are 2 rawplugs above the pipe - to take a mounting for the tap - probably something like the one Chris_W linked to

I also fitted a couple of those wall mount tap fitting , although tightening the nut maybe difficult if mounted directly on the wall , at least thats what i found , with a lever tap - and in a previous house also had the Drain as shown in the image, which i opened before winter to stop freezing

the pipework measure is 13/14mm outside diameter - so it maybe old imperial size - NOT sure -

the taps i have fitted are
https://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-pb50-hose-union-bib-tap-15mm-x/6263v
Just making it easier as we get older

Thanks all. Here's a photo of the tap. As you can see there's a built in wall plate. Is the little hex head a drain? There's an isolation valve inside, don't think that there's a double check valve, would have to double check.

20210331_135936.jpg

:LOL::LOL:

The hex could be a verifiable check valve, so you can, under the water regulations replace like for like.

Ah, OK thanks I think I've got it now. It's a bodged but serviceable job consisting of a standard soldered T with a short stub of copper upwards to which has been fitted a compression fitting (1/2" BSP?) which fits the tail of the tap. On the other part of the T is a valved drain (which could take a length of hose pushed on). The broken tap has a built in double check valve. So I could just replace the existing tap with something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outside-...l-Plate-Elbow-Double-Check-Valve/124629156069, although that's dependent upon the olive mating nicely with the new tap, so it may be preferable to replace with something more purpose built.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Ebay link looks like it will work. Better if double check valve was inside (less risk of freezing) but if not practicable, then go with eBay one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back