is this acceptable to move a plug by extending wires?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya
moving a plug up through ceiling over 3 meters and back down.

problem is both wires are to short.

1 is unmovable and goes through the supporting wall somewhere far to awkward for me to get at.

the other wire is the last to the consumer unit. so no leeway on that side either.

is extending a ring classed as such for adding sockets or also extending a socket length as i will only be adding the original socket back on. ive searched and looked at diagrams and they all have all had extra sockets put into them?

does this make it a notifiable job?

Many thanks.
OJ

Sponsored Links
when you say "moving a plug " do you actually mean that? Or do you mean "installing a socket in a new position?"

plug

p1441264_l.jpg

socket

p3144099_l.jpg

It is not notifiable work to add sockets to an existing circuit (unless it is in a kitchen).

There are two main methods to move a socket:

1) Take a spur in 2.5mm T&E from the existing socket to (not more than) one single or double socket elsewhere

2) On a Ring circuit, extend one or both of the cables that enter the socket (the "left hand" and "right hand" legs) but no longer joining them together at the old socket. This means that your ring becomes larger. You can insert one or more sockets along this enlarged ring, like beads on a necklace, re-joining them to complete the ring at the furthest socket. Since you still have a ring after doing this, you must carry out a continuity test on each of the conductors to ensure that the ring is unbroken.

If this is not clear, have a look in our Wiki which I think has examples. Any questions, please come back.

Notes:
1) You must not have more than one socket (single or double) on a spur
2) If you have a double socket, you must not run two 13Amp appliances off it at the same time, or it will overheat. Such appliances include washing machines, dishwashers, tumble driers, ovens and electric heaters.
3) You mention a smell. If you mean overheating, this can be very serious. It might lead to a fire, it will probably lead to a failure of part of your electrical installation as the connections may burn through where they are overheating, it may lead to increased risk of shock. If you can put up digital photos of the problem area on a new post, you may get further advice and comment.

Sponsored Links
Thanks john had an electrician in on saturday got the boards up checked the connector and all looks ok, but the smell is like resin but it is not at the fridge?

I can take a photo all it will show is a brown circular connector with 3 wires 2 off the ring and the spur wire through the ceiling to a double socket, my concen is later years some one could try to run something big of the double socket.

thank you for the ring info, i found diagrams but only ones with sockets added so i was unsure how i stood with notifiable work, if the wires alone were to be extended with connectors.

Although as the connectors need to be accessible it makes sense to turn them, into sockets, to save pulling up floors at a later date and it only means adding 1 socket in a place where i do want one the added socket would be in the passage out side of the kitchen.

very greatfull for the clarification.

OJ

you are right, connector blocks and junction boxes are not a very good solution, with a socket circuit it is more satisfactory to make all your connections at sockets. Having an extra socket somewhere visible is not usually any hardship.

Sometimes a connection overheats if it is not tightly screwed and making good contact. The other cause is overload but this has to be quite bad since cables and connectors are usually generously sized.

Overheating plastic often smells a bit fishy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back