moving plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents,

We recently moved our kitchen into the externsion we had built, however the sockets in the old kitchen are all 4ft up the wall now the cabinets have been moved.

I am planning on lowering the plugs to the correct height in the wall +/- 12", what i need to know is what is the best way to extend the wiring?

I was planning on using, crimpes and shrinkwrap to extend the wires 3ft each before having the room replastered, is there any other issues i should be taking into account?
'
Tks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Do the cables come from above or below?

How many sockets are we talking about here?

How old is the existing wiring?

crimpes and shrinkwrap to extend the wires 3ft each before having the room replastered

That could be an option, provided the crimps are the correct ones and the tool used to apply them is also the correct type.

is there any other issues i should be taking into account?
Andy

Yes, plenty.

However if the room will be replastered, why not replace the cables entirely, instead of joining bits on?

Cheers guys.

There are 4 double plugs. The wiring is not that old and the cables are run from above.

Sponsored Links
If the circuits are on a ring / the same radial, then most of the cabling will just be going between sockets, at which point it would probably be far easier to just put new bits in, potentially even going horizontally across between your new sockets. For the first (and last if it's a ring) cable, i'd replace the entire cable in the wall by using crimps and heatshrink or whatever under the floor upstairs.

Basically, while it is OK in the regs to bury a crimp (assuming it's in a safe zone etc etc), personally I'd only ever try to do that if it was to fix a fault caused by e.g. a nail/screw in the wrong place - if you're moving the sockets, then just put new cabling in...

all the rooms upstairs are fitted with built in wardrobes so getting to the wires underneath the floor broads would be almost impossible.

There are 4 plugs in the room and each plug has a feed and return coming down from the ceiling, so unfortunately there is no wiring running in between. Which would have made life a lot easier.

At presnet my only option is to use crimps and shrink wrap.

since the work is taking place in the dining room and not a kitchen, do i need to inform LABC that the work is taking place? Or can i undertake this task myself?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back