Moving a socket

It's better not to have junction boxes at all if you can avoid it. They have to be accessible so you can see where they are to fault-find and tighten the screws.

That was why I originally suggested running a spur to the new position and leaving the old socket in place where it might be useful and no more unsightly than a blanked off box.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
You could run a spur from the old socket (and leave it in place) to the new one.

Regulations say that joints, junctions etc must be accessible.

securespark said:
JohnD said:
You could run a spur from the old socket (and leave it in place) to the new one.

Regulations say that joints, junctions etc must be accessible.

Quite. I mean that the existing socket is accessible, being on the surface of the wall. So the spur would be taken from this socket, the cable poked through the wall to the socket on the other side. The connections would be at the terminals of the old socket, which is visible and accessible, as I had suggested it would be left in place.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all this guys. I think it is going to have to be a case of leaving the socket in place and running a spur from it, as this appears to be the only feasible way of leaving the cable connections accesible. The junction box idea is nice, but judging by the reaction, thats not the way to go!! I guess it won't look so bad if i buy a new socket cover for it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back