Moving sockets up about 6 inches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The existing plug sockets in a couple of rooms sits low just above the skirting board. As i plan to recess the socket anyway I though I could also lift this slightly.

If there is no 'give' in the cables what is the best way to extend them by a few inches to meat the new height? I am assuming the old style crip connectors are a bad idea with current regs etc. Could i use a choc box for this and plaster over?

Mike.

Sponsored Links
Dont plaster over, as in future an electrician may need access - 2 choices really...

stick a blanking plate over and run a spur up a few inches

go out, buy a new 2.5mm wire length and re-wire - you will need an electriican in for this though.

A blanking plate is not my preferred finish for the wall. In the unlikely event that an electrician needs access to that 6 inch gap i would happily break through plaster and redo.

Are there really no options other than to rewire that section of cable? I had hoped there was a junction or connector available.

Under 17th Edition, you can use junction boxes, but they HAVE to be accessable - not covered with plaster etc...

Other than that, a rewire would be the best option - least then you know its done - make sure it gets tested and certified/notified if you do this yourself...

Sponsored Links
Buy some rachet crimps and crimp new cable on to old. Crimps are permanent as as such don't count as junction points so are fine.

You should sleeve over the crimps with heat shrink or use self amalgermating tape.

I am assuming the old style crip connectors are a bad idea with current regs etc. Could i use a choc box for this and plaster over?

Mike.

You assume wrong. Crimps = good (done with a proper ratchet crimp tool - BAS, your pic, please and thankyou :) - and then sleeved), chock-block = bad. You can plaster over your properly crimped connections.

Use a crimper like this:

DVDHCR15.JPG

not one of these:

mediaa543490cl2.jpg

You should sleeve over the crimps with heat shrink or use self amalgermating tape.

You must do this. The cable and joints must be double insulated and the sleeve will ensure this.

Also you'll trip the RCD as soon as you sloch wet filler onto the joint!!

You must do this. The cable and joints must be double insulated and the sleeve will ensure this.

Also you'll trip the RCD as soon as you sloch wet filler onto the joint!!

Don't think there is an RCD. I will protect wires with metal trunking to avoid 'sloch'.

Thanks for your advice. I will do my best and hope there is some give on the wires.

you might also consider sliding oval plastic conduit over each cable. This gives the protection and also maker it easier to poke down behind the skirting and possibly into the floor void. It fits rubber grommets in the metal wall box if you squeeze it round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back