Moving double socker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone give me some advise.i have a socket fed from above on a ring main and a spur fed from that to a fan.i need to move socket 6 inches to the side.what is the best way of extending cables to do this was thinking of using wago connectors and box as it will need plastering afterwards. Do I need to extend all three wires or can I connect them in the wago box and just have 2 wires feeding new socket locations

Sponsored Links
unfortunately moving a socket is generally non-trivial because of the issue of permitted cable routes.

There are ways to make joints that don't need to be accessible for maintenance, but cables embedded in walls normally need to be in "safe zones" and the "safe zones" associated with a socket will disappear if the socket disappears. Also i haven't seen a maintenance free junction box that was designed to be embedded in a solid wall.

So sadly if you really need to move the socket you will probably have to dig out the existing wiring all the way up to the ceiling and reroute (jointing in the ceiling void if nessacery) the cable from up there.

Thanks pug would the horizontal safe zone no apply as all the other sockets are at that height. Also the wall is a hollow wall plasterboard with about 3 inch before a brick wall

Sponsored Links
The horizontal applies, but the existing vertical cable would not have anything on it to denote the existance of the cable. Unless you plan to leave a blanking plate there?

Yes forgot that suppose I could replace the socket with a back box and use and extend the cable from there and put a blank plate over it suppose I could extend cables from there using cable blocks as it would be accessible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back