New socket extending cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys the wife wants me to change single socket on the landing to a double.

Not difficult however the electrician who wired the house when it was built has cut the cables too short, my original plan was to place the new back box in the middle of the old one, but I can't as there is a stud next to it making life more difficult.

I plan on using some wago connectors to extend the cable into the new socket, only question is how...

Do I extend both ring wires into the back of the socket, Using the the 2 connector wago, or do I connect the two ring cables using a 3 connector wago and then run one cable to the new socket?

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
Wagos are fine.

"connect the two ring cables using a 3 connector wago and then run one cable to the new socket"

Using the Wagos like that is exactly the same as if you were wiring the socket as a spur from the ring final. Perfectly fine.

PS You might like to use a slightly deeper box (32mm) to allow room for the three Wagos. If it's a stud wall then use a platerboard box.
MTBDLB2.JPG

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back