Moving a light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move a light switch about 6 to 8 inches to one side.What\\\'s the best way to do this a) if there is enough slack cable and b) if the cable needs extending.

Sponsored Links
The best way is to remove the whole cable and rechase it to the new switch.

Any L-shape deviations in the run will cause the cable not to be in safe zones, and at risk of being drilled through.

I really don't want to have to do that and cause problems with the decoration and what would happen if the cable wasn't long enough?

. . . replace the cable. Why do you want to move the switch?

It would be acceptable to fit a blanking plate where the existing switch is, and make the joint to extend the cable here. And the cable would still be in safe zones then. Safe zones run directly horizontal and vertical from any accessory.

Sponsored Links
My wife wants to put up an 'arch' to make our dining area off the lounge a more definite space and the switch is in the way.If I come off horizontally from the existing switch is it OK to wallpaper over the existing 'hole' and how should I block it off?
Also if the cable isn't long enough is it permissible to use a joint block in the existing switch space?
Thanks again

Can I blank it off in such a way as to make it flush with the existing wall so it can be papered over?

teddyman5 said:
Can I blank it off in such a way as to make it flush with the existing wall so it can be papered over?

No, as Steve mentioned, the safe zones are horizontally and vertically from any accessory. If you can't see the accessory the safe zones do not exist and cables can not be run there without additional mechanical protection.

Heres a colourful diagram.

safezones.jpg

You can clearly see that to go left and then upwards is NOT in a safe zone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back