Moving a 1G light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to move a light switch back-box to exactly one backbox distance to the right. The switch has 2x 2-way switches and the rear of it is very busy and there is literally no slack whatsoever. The reason I need to move it is that the house-builder put it in such a awkward place and I cannot fit a wall cabinet because it gets in the way. So what I am thinking is that, if I install a new metal backbox right next to the old one and extend each connection with a 6A terminal block with extra wire going to the new backbox. By extend i mean like 1 com has 2 wires, so put the 2 wires in a terminal block and take one single cable to the new location. Is this OK to do in terms of regs? And then is it ok to fill the old backbox up that has all the terminal blocks in it?

Sponsored Links
Will the connections be accessible afterwards?

If not, you can't use terminal blocks as they aren't maintenance free.

And then is it ok to fill the old backbox up that has all the terminal blocks in it?
If you do that then the cables will not be is a recognised wiring zone. See Permitted Routes in Walls

One way would be to extend the wires, using maintenance free connectors
and put a blanking plate on the old box.

If you want to plaster over the old box, then your only option is to chase down the wall and competely re-route the cable so they fall into the recvognised zone.

Sponsored Links
If covered by wall cabinet, then junction only accessible by removing the cabinet. It depends on your definition of accessible.

You might argue (probably will) that the cable should not be there if it is permanantly concealed by the cabinet.

Oh dear. I am rearranging some furniture downstairs. I want to put a tall wall unit on a wall where there is a socket.

Perhaps I had better rethink.

If you do that then the cables will not be is a recognised wiring zone. See Permitted Routes in Walls

One way would be to extend the wires, using maintenance free connectors
and put a blanking plate on the old box.

If you want to plaster over the old box, then your only option is to chase down the wall and competely re-route the cable so they fall into the recvognised zone.

I wanted to plaster over it as a blanking panel will stick out. Unless I get get a flush blanking panel.

If I use terminal blocks and then cover the old backbox with a double modular faceplate like the one in the picture below allowing me to seal it and chase it in a little and then just put a blanking module on top of that, will that work?

No picture!

But you could chase it in a little so it is flush with the wall. The essential requirement is that it is still an obvious visual destination for the cables that are buried in the wall!

PS I don't know who will be fitting the wall cabinet(?), but do point out the location of the cables to them!

John, leave the existing back box where it is and put a blank face plate on the top. Don't try to conceal it.

This does 2 things, it gives you access if needed ever to check the conections in it (a bad connection can get hot.. hot things can cause fires, or a very bad connection can let a wire pop out of the terminal block leaving a loose live wire, if it concealed you will ahve great trouble checking). The second point is that - while you live in the house and might remember in 20 years time where all the electrical equipment is, a new owner will have no clue that there is a concealed conection there. Leaving the blanking plate visible will give the new owner (and a forgetful you, or your decorator) a good clue where the cables are buried in the walls,,, and gives them a good clue where not to put a nail. It might be even worse than that - behind the visible switch the cables will appear to run horizontally where in reality they unexpectedly run verticallly, it might be assumed from a visual inspection that the cables run horizontally and so it is safe to cut into, drill or nail into the wall above.. and straight into the live cable.

For what it is worth and with great care.. and with the power iff in case you damage the cable, is there any chance to dig the cable out of the wal and move that over as well, replastering over the mess and then decorate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back