Switch connection for 2 x lights one switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably not very clear from the title.

I have 2 wall mounted spotlights.
Wiring is in place and connected to each light and is presently in a wall mounted backbox ready to have a switch faceplate connected. (individual wiring from each light to the same backbox,)
Main supply wiring (single) to the backbox is in place - power is isolated from this backbox at present.

What switch faceplate do I use to operate the lights independantly of each other ?

I have a Crabtree switch with no details on it apart from Series 4000 and marked 2g 10ax, which looks from the back like the 2 switches are side by side and one is installed upside down

View media item 22457
Would this be suitable ?

How would I connect this up to feed 2 seperate switches and lights using the single incoming mains supply.

If not suitable - which switch should I be looking for ?

Sponsored Links
Connect each light's live and switched live between L1 and L2 of their respective switches.

Though you dont say what combination of wires you have. If unsure, tell us what you have in the switchback.

Thanks Steve,

Into the backbox I have

1 x mains incoming - Blue Brown Earth

to go out to the lights
2 x Light feeds - Brown Blue Earth ie 2 of each.

I want each switch to operate a single light.

Nothing is connected inside the switch yet.

Yes, keep the blues in the backbox connected together.

You will need a small loop of brown core to loop the two L1s. Connect the incoming mains to an L1 also.

Then connect the two outgoing browns to the L2s.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Steve, but I'm getting muddled - so

I have the incoming mains and connect the brown from this to LI, and add a loop of Brown to the next L1, giving me power to both switches from one mains in.

The Mains incoming blue and the outgoing lighting blues - if they are all together surely then both lights will work off one switch ?

Would I not have to do the same as for the Browns but put the lights wiring Blues into L2 on each switch, and loop the the 2 L2's together ?

Just having trouble seeing it in my head !

Thanks Steve, its just clicked inside my head and all is now clear.

Thanks BAS but I dont plan on rewiring my house anytime soon and nothing in that link explains 2 gang switch wiring.

No, but it shows you what a switch does, something you seem to be struggling with.

No, but it shows you what a switch does, something you seem to be struggling with.
As much respect I have for your knowledge, you're becoming tiresome. Perhaps you should "vent" on general discussion instead of ruining threads on here.

Yes I know WHAT a switch does, but your link tells me nothing about my 2 gang switch and how it should be wired for what I wanted it to do.

Maybe you could have explained it instead ?

It's ok Steve - I've grown used to seeing BAS's replies over time - I'm surprised he left it until now to have a dig instead of giving any proper help.

Of course it does, but I didn't ask what a switch does, I asked whether the 2 gang faceplate I had was suitable as I had no info on it, and then asked how best to wire it for what I wanted to do.

None of the diagrams in the WIki as far as I could see showed me the wiring configuration Steve outlined for me, I'm sure you will spend the next hours finding one or making one up though so you can have the last word !

Anyway - thanks again Steve, and thanks BAS for the link even though it was not any use on this occasion.

Thats my last word - now you can have yours . . . :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back