Light wiring problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_6298.JPG
hi all

In the attached photo you will see my kitchen light wiring. I had the ceiling taken down for sound proofing reasons. It has been put back up but lowered slightly.

There is barely any cable left to play with and very little slack so that further cable can't be pulled through.

I want to wire up a new light which is currently impossible as there is virtually no slack on the cable (s**t job by the builders)

What is the best way to extend these cable by 4-6 inches? I'm thinking of making a large enough hole in the new ceiling to work with and I want to use the taped up earth cables also because of the new metal fitment.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Could you move the light a few inches to the left which would create a bit of slack in the cable ?

Taped up earth cables??

You may be able to do a joint within the light fitting using connector blocks and a short length of cable.

You wouldn't use bits of earth wire taped up, as your post suggests.

Typical cable to use would be 1.0 mm2 twin and earth or 0.75 mm2 or 1.0mm2 flex.

thanks - the earth cables are all connected in a block and taped up

Sponsored Links
The cables barely come below the plasterboard so a join within the light fitting wouldn't work.

Between the bottom of the joists and the plasterboard is a 50mm void. How could I join the cables within this void? I'll have to cut a hole in the ceiling

Design your lighting so that you have another light to the left.

How much of the room is out of the picture?

Would the two loop cables at the ceiling position reach the light switch?

If so, re-route the cables and make the connections in there and take a twin and earth (or if you need a permanent live, a three core) up to the ceiling position. No messy connections to hide in the void or fitting.

Or you could use an MF J box in the void.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back