Landing light - relocating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to put up a new landing light about a foot or so away from where its predecessor's ceiling rose was and have a dilemma as to the best way to reconnect power as the switch cable is too short for this new position and I also don't have a huge amount of slack on the light fitting's cable coming up through to the loft either (L,N,E and extra earth as metal light).

As it's in the loop I have power in and out (both these have enough slack), the switch cable and then obviously the cable from my light. I guess replacing the cable from the switch would be the best option, however what's the next best alternative?

Extend the switch cable and bring that to a junction box to put all the connections into?
Extend the light fitting with some choc block and bring that over with the other two cables to the switch cable and connect in JB?
Any other options???

Finally, regarding junction boxes, I've read many forum entries about securing to joists and putting the insulation over the top but also leaving the cables on top of the insulation is advised. Are both ok? What does it depend on?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hidden junction boxes are NOT allowed, they must be accessible.

Have you checked the switch cable and might it be in a conduit or tube and thus you could pull a new one in with the required extra length on it ?

There's 2 x methods for jointing cables without either a junction box or a choc block.

1- Crimp, heat shrink / sleeve
2- Solder, heat shrink / sleeve- If attempting this it's best to hold the cores to be joined together with fine strand wire before soldering.

Sponsored Links
:oops:

Note to self, STOP speed reading (I missed the landing / upper floor light bit).

If the j/b is accessible then fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back