Need Advice on Wall Socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got a double wall socket it's mounted on the skirting board not inside it (if you know what I mean), and the problem is it's mounted to low, we had new carpet fitted and it's made it even worse we can't plug anything in it, I want to move the socket on top of the skirting board, but how will I extend the wires about 10 inches higher?? will it be as simple as using those long plastic wire connectors (forgot what there called) or will it be harder then that? :confused:

Sponsored Links
S.Dhuper said:
Hi, I've got a double wall socket it's mounted on the skirting board not inside it (if you know what I mean), and the problem is it's mounted to low, we had new carpet fitted and it's made it even worse we can't plug anything in it, I want to move the socket on top of the skirting board, but how will I extend the wires about 10 inches higher?? will it be as simple as using those long plastic wire connectors (forgot what there called) or will it be harder then that? :confused:

you could use a JB and spur to the socket, BUT the JB needs to be accessable. other than that, crimp the cables (and dont use the 99p squeeze-n-pray crimpers

andrew2022 said:
S.Dhuper said:

you could use a JB and spur to the socket, BUT the JB needs to be accessable. other than that, crimp the cables (and dont use the 99p squeeze-n-pray crimpers

Hi, what do you mean by JB and spur to the socket?? Will crimping be safe to do? or how about the terminal Blocks? I could use them under the floor boards.

S.Dhuper said:
andrew2022 said:
S.Dhuper said:

Hi, what do you mean by JB and spur to the socket?? Will crimping be safe to do? or how about the terminal Blocks? I could use them under the floor boards.

JB=junction box. crimping would be safest thing to do, and it permanent, where as JB or terminal block isnt, thereofre must be accessable. under the floor isnt usually 'accessable' especially when there is laminate flooring down

Sponsored Links
S.Dhuper said:
Will crimping be safe to do?
Yes - if done properly, with adequately rated crimps, a ratchet crimper and heat-shrink sleeving...

ban-all-sheds said:
S.Dhuper said:
Yes - if done properly, with adequately rated crimps, a ratchet crimper and heat-shrink sleeving...
Hi, will I need to wrap it with insulation tape afterwards

S.Dhuper said:
ban-all-sheds said:
S.Dhuper said:
Hi, will I need to wrap it with insulation tape afterwards

if you use heatshrink, no

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back