Sinking Sockets in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I'm in the process of decorating a room. At present there are single sockets mounted on the skirting board which I want to make double and sink into the wall.

What are the standard and recommended heights which the sockets have to be mounted above skirting board?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If they are mounted on the skirting, do you have lath & plaster walls?
They are a real PITA to sink boxes into :mad:

Sponsored Links
baldersj said:
If they are mounted on the skirting, do you have lath & plaster walls?
They are a real PITA to sink boxes into :mad:

no, breeze block walls plastered over - well, being plastered over by myself as we speak. (unfortunately so is the floor! :oops: )

ipjodan said:
Bottom of sockets 450mm from floor

This figure only applies to new build and fully refurbished properties.

If you are not either building from scratch, or gutting an existing property then you can put your sockets where ever you like.

Usually as a minimum a gap of about 2" is required between the skirting and socket to allow for the plug to be fully inserted without the flex fouling the skirting board.

Summary: Put them where ever you think looks right, or matches the height of any other sockets which you already have.

Put wherever you think they look best.

The new guidelines are to suit disable people, so lightswitches are lower, sockets higher. Understandable but it looks ****.

I think 450mm for sockets is fine. People will get used to that height from newer buildings, and will think lower looks odd.

It is also easier for us tired old chaps to reach, with our bad backs and all.

1700mm off the garage floor. I won't be able to reach them when I'm so old I need a wheelchair :cry: Good point, perhaps I'll get the crimpers out ;)

Thanks for your help guys - Think I've decided on 2" above the skiting board so it won't look odd compared to the rest of the house.

RF Lighting said:
If you are not either building from scratch, or gutting an existing property then you can put your sockets where ever you like.
iirc the rules say you mustn't make accessibility any worse so if all your sockets are already at the part M heights you must keep to them. OTOH if your existing sockets are just above skirting level you may put your new ones there too if you wish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back