Wago connectors in plaster

The ridiculous phrase "Like For Like" is nowhere used in the Regulations.

What is the/your definition of "Like For Like"?

Sponsored Links
In line crimps or wagos are fine to bury in the wall. Use heat shrink on them if you want but I bet most sparkies wouldn't bother.

Like for like is mentioned where ???
I would suggest leaving the existing as if , if possible (Is the circuit a ring or a radial? (you should not produce a spur on a spur from a ring) then either leave the existing ones in situ or change to blanking plates if needed to prevent spurs on spurs. Quicker, easier and you`ll have more sockets although some of them would be less readily reached by yourself.

Sponsored Links
In line crimps or wagos are fine to bury in the wall. Use heat shrink on them if you want but I bet most sparkies wouldn't bother.
Crimps yes wago's No.......Unless you have a different message from Wago saying you can......Work to manufacturers instructions and they say no

I dont see the point in raising the sockets? If anything, having them low down would be my preference...

If like for like then No.....
This "like for like" phrase does not seem to appear in any version (or Amendment) of BS7671. In any event, by the time things need replacing, it is very commonly the case that an identical product is no longer available - so I presume you have your own pet definition of "(not quite) like-for-like"?
.... if addition or new circuit Yes ......
This thread does not relate to a new circuit ,nor (in any sensible sense) an 'addition' - mere the moving of an existing socket by a foot or two.
.... and there is nothing in Amendment 2 about the need to upgrade CU if plastic when upgrading the RCD
Indeed not. Nor is there anything explicit in Amendment 2 about the need to upgrade an RCD if a socket is moved.ly

I would suggest leaving the existing as if , if possible (Is the circuit a ring or a radial? (you should not produce a spur on a spur from a ring) then either leave the existing ones in situ or change to blanking plates if needed to prevent spurs on spurs. Quicker, easier and you`ll have more sockets although some of them would be less readily reached by yourself.
Several of us have already suggested that. However, those waters have subsequently been muddied/muddled by someone suggesting that (in his opinion) to do that would necessitate upgrading the circuit's RCD to a Type A one (if it is not already) - even though I doubt that everyone would agree with that.

Kind Regards, John

Like for like....you know exactly what I meant.....Mr Pedantic is back

Like for like....you know exactly what I meant.....Mr Pedantic is back
My point is that I do not know. You are the one majoring on 'what regulations say' and the regulations say nothing about "like for like". You clearly have your own 'definition' - which may, or may not, be shared by the authors of BS7671 or anyone else.

Which regulation do you believe says that if one moves a socket, it is then necessary for the circuit to be protected by a Type A RCD?

What if one installs a 'new circuit' from a CU (notifying that work, of course!) - do you believe that it then becomes necessary to upgrade the CU to a metal one, and perhaps one with an SPD?

The ridiculous phrase "Like For Like" is nowhere used in the Regulations.

What is the/your definition of "Like For Like"?
Where did I say it does? And change a socket for a socket....It's really easy if you think about it..but I'm glad to help you out

Seems to be a term used by the Nic etc on there websites and publications to help people know when to use a minor works as opposed to an installation certificate, or whatever there called nowadays.

From the Niceic
"Replacement of a single protective device

A MEIWC may be issued to certify a ‘like-for-like’ replacement of a single protective device, or a single item of switchgear containing a single protective device.

In addition, a MEIWC may also be issued for the replacement of a device that is not considered ‘like-for-like’, but only in circumstances where the skilled person carrying out the replacement can verify that the replacement device satisfies the requirements of BS 7671, particularly, for the safe disconnection of the circuit under fault conditions"

Last edited:
My point is that I do not know. You are the one majoring on 'what regulations say' and the regulations say nothing about "like for like". You clearly have your own 'definition' - which may, or may not, be shared by the authors of BS7671 or anyone else.

Which regulation do you believe says that if one moves a socket, it is then necessary for the circuit to be protected by a Type A RCD?

What if one installs a 'new circuit' from a CU (notifying that work, of course!) - do you believe that it then becomes necessary to upgrade the CU to a metal one, and perhaps one with an SPD?
You posted that the OP could leave existing sockets and spur off them (Addition)......

Seems to be a term used by the Nic etc on there websites and publications to help people know when to use a minor works as opposed to an installation certificate, or whatever there called nowadays.
Maybe it is, but BS7671 doesn't make a distinction (between the types of certificate) based on that phrase. do they actually define what they mean by it? In fact, what BS7671 says about MEIWCs is:
644.4.201 Where electrical installation work does not include the provision of a new circuit or replacement of
a distribution board or consumer unit, a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate, based on the model given
in Appendix 6, may be provided for each circuit that has been added to or altered as an alternative to an Electrical
Installation Certificate.
... which appears to cover a lot more things than just "like-for-like" replacements, doesn't it?

More interesting, does any of this guidance on their website say that adding a socket to a circuit triggers a requirement to upgrade a Type AC RCD to a Type A one?

Kind Regards, John

From the Niceic
"Replacement of a single protective device

A MEIWC may be issued to certify a ‘like-for-like’ replacement of a single protective device, or a single item of switchgear containing a single protective device.

In addition, a MEIWC may also be issued for the replacement of a device that is not considered ‘like-for-like’, but only in circumstances where the skilled person carrying out the replacement can verify that the replacement device satisfies the requirements of BS 7671, particularly, for the safe disconnection of the circuit under fault conditions"
Thanks for that, Rocky.

What utter gobbledegook nonsense; no wonder there is such confusion.

Do they do it on purpose?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back