Junction box or wago connectors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm almost done with installing my downlights in the ground floor of my house, which I have accessed via the floorboards above. For now, I have used Wago connectors, but I wanted to check if the regulations require me to install junction boxes instead? The location of the previous light fittings vs. my new downlights means that I have had to run a TE cable to my first light and won't be able to access the wago connectors once the previous ceiling rose has been filled over and the floorboards replaced.

I would be grateful for any advice or guidance on this. I'm happy to place everything inside junction boxes, but I want to understand if it's ok that they won't really be accessible once the renovation is done.

Sponsored Links
I thought junction boxes with screw down terminals could only be used in accessible locations

whereas Wagos which are spring loaded are ok -but you need them put in a box

Thank you for the guidance.

Would anyone be kind enough to provide me with a link of what a suitable enclosure could be and I can then take it from there?

Sponsored Links
I watched someone using Wago connectors, and a Wago boxes mounted to the joists with the square tabs.

Looked a really good, solid solution.

You need a cable tie through the box to make it maintenance free apparently.

Wagos technically are only MF when they are in an enclosure marked MF, wago do there own version, the requirements are strain relief, adequate heat dissapation and a means of locking the cover and a MF logo

https://www.google.com/search?q=wag...rome..69i57.4708j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I'm struggling to find a MF box that easily accomodates 4 conductors.

Would something like this be considered suitable and maintenance free? https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/4304018-32a-3-terminal-17th-edition-junction-box-white

Wagos technically are only MF when they are in an enclosure marked MF, wago do there own version, the requirements are strain relief, adequate heat dissapation and a means of locking the cover and a MF logo

https://www.google.com/search?q=wag...rome..69i57.4708j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
They are only maintenance-free when used in a WagoBox and adhering to the specific requirements in the instructions for a maintenance-free connection. This includes the cable tie around the WagoBox. They are not certified maintenance-free inside any other enclosure.

They are only maintenance-free when used in a WagoBox and adhering to the specific requirements in the instructions for a maintenance-free connection. This includes the cable tie around the WagoBox. They are not certified maintenance-free inside any other enclosure.

Sorry for the confusion. I would do away with the Wago connectors and use the terminal blocks provided inside the junction box in the link. I understand the terminal blocks are spring loaded as well.

J804 is the correct one.

Brilliant and just for my own education, the difference is purely the amp rating is more closely matched to usage on this circuit (multiple 5W Led Bulbs)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back