Moving electic meter from outside to inide?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone had experience of having a domestic electric meter moved from outside to inside a property? Ours is currently outside in a recessed box, however the cable actually comes up on the inside of the wall & the recessed box is within a solid 9" wall and I believe nearly the entire depth of the wall has been chopped out (the previous owner was a "builder" and did lots of terrible electrical & plumbing DIY)!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I'm aware the usual scenario is moving inside to outside, and this makes it easier for the meter reader I guess.

In this age of smart meters though, I don't see why it'd be an issue to move it back inside?

Another issue I have is that the meter box is right on the road side of the house, anyone could pull our service fuse at any time, bit of a security issue IMO.

I don't see why it'd be an issue to move it back inside?

BS7671, aka "the regs" do not apply to dno networks, the dno's work to different regulations that are unacceptable inside a building. Therefore they have good reason not to move your supply cable (even a few inches of it) to inside your house.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
They like having the meter/service head outside so they can disconnect you (if you don't pay the bill) without needing a court order, bailiffs etc to gain access.
If they were to agree to move it there'd probably be a fee involved in the 1000 plus area

Another issue I have is that the meter box is right on the road side of the house, anyone could pull our service fuse at any time, bit of a security issue IMO.

That's something that occurred to me too, as we're in a similar situation.

Is it permissible to fit a lock to the meter box door?

A simple question, if anyone is willing to answer.

A simple question, if anyone is willing to answer.
Given that one of the main reasons for external cabinets is so that meter readers, suppliers and DNOs have access to the contents, without having to have access into the property, I can but presume that there must be rules against applying a lock which those people could not unlock.

Kind Regards, John

Given that one of the main reasons for external cabinets is so that meter readers, suppliers and DNOs have access to the contents, without having to have access into the property, I can but presume that there must be rules against applying a lock which those people could not unlock.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for that.

Naturally, I have no wish to prevent authorised access. Of course, the existing lock (keys for which DNOs possess) are very simple triangular things which anyone can get hold of.

I was hoping that it might be possible to obtain a more secure type of lock that would be acceptable to the DNOs and others, or perhaps a combination lock the combination number of which I could supply to DNOs, etc.

Thanks for that. Naturally, I have no wish to prevent authorised access. Of course, the existing lock (keys for which DNOs possess) are very simple triangular things which anyone can get hold of.
Indeed so.
I was hoping that it might be possible to obtain a more secure type of lock that would be acceptable to the DNOs and others, or perhaps a combination lock the combination number of which I could supply to DNOs, etc.
Others may have more specific knowledge, but I find it hard to see that it would be practical - since any key (or combination) would have to be pretty specific to a particular installation/cabinet. Particularly in the case of physical keys, that could become a horrendous exercise.

What I can tell you ('locally') is that a year or three ago one of my neighbours asked this very question of his supplier and DNO, both of whom said 'no' - but others may, of course, give different answers.

Kind Regards, John

Goodness me, what a thing to say. It is not allowed unless the person is fully trained and has all the PPE necessary.
I realise that it's a very small 'sample' but I have to say that whenever I've seen cutout fuses pulled by a 'fully trained' person authorised to do it (usually for meter changes), I don't think I've ever seen even a trace of any PPE in sight!

Kind Regards, John

What I can tell you ('locally') is that a year or three ago one of my neighbours asked this very question of his supplier and DNO, both of whom said 'no' - but others may, of course, give different answers.

I can imagine that would always be the “official” response to asking the question.
Don’t ask, just do it. You can always take lock off if ‘they’ complain.
There are a huge number of meter/cut outs that are not accessible. Many are inside houses. My meter is on the side of the house and now behind a locked gate. Gate now locked due to break in at rear of house.

Can you still get lockable boxes with a window in the door that allows for the meter to be read without opening the box ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back