WILL MY OUTSIDE ELECTRIC METER CUPBOARD NEED MOVING?

Upshot is, at least the supplementary bonding will be easy :rolleyes:

Why?

To the OP:

I think it's short-sighted to think of your holiday over your safety.

You say there will be two rooms: why not swap them over?

Sponsored Links
I showed the link to a cable jointer mate of mine, and the he said something along the lines of 'a few screws short of a nutcase' ... so there you go ;)

Perhaps ask the question to the DNO, they are afterall the ones who are responsible for the safety of the equipment.

They generally don't like service cables to run through buildings, normally a meter box on the outside, or straight through the wall and onto a board

Not to mention you are probably going to build foundations over where the cable is buried...

The op said: Hi, I have a recessed outside electric meter cupboard on the side of my wall but just inside a drive thru archway which has a storey above (it was once the kitchen years ago).

Furthermore as previously mentioned it used to be a Kitchen so hopefully the man from Building regs will not insist on me having it moved before approval for the archway to be converted once more back to a room.

So it was part of the house before, and the op is putting it back to how it was years old.

Sponsored Links
The DNO generally don't like service cables to run through buildings, normally a meter box on the outside, or straight through the wall and onto a board

They don't :?: Because my service cable at home comes in from the front of the house, under the lounge floor, then under the small hall at the bottom of the stairs, & then under the dining room floor, & then the supply cable comes up just inside the doorway through from the dining room to the kitchen. Your looking at a good 5m or more, where it runs through the house.

Supplementary does not go back to any main earthing terminal. Only MEB's do that.

I don't claim to know about such things, however that makes sense considering the name of it (supplementary) - why would I, I'm not allowed to work on my own kitchen or bathroom electrics, so they stay the way they were when I moved in :rolleyes:

why would I, I'm not allowed to work on my own kitchen or bathroom electrics

Yes you are.

Why don't you actually read approved document P before making wildly inaccurate statements about it, rather than just regurgitating the mis-truths banded about in every electrical wholesalers across the length and breadth of the country.

If the approved document is a bit too heavy going for you, you would do well to read ban-all-sheds' guide to part P

What a DNO?

Good point about the foundations, yes they would be over them so looks like I will have to pay for the meter cable to be moved

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back