Moving a Kitchen Outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am decorating my kitchen and have to move a double socket to accommodate a new cabinet but what I want to know is this...

There are two double sockets on one wall of my kitchen; one is above the work counter which the kettle and other small appliances are plugged into (fan, can opener etc...) The second socket is beneath the counter and has the washing machine plugged into it.

I want to move the lower socket but when I open them up, although they have their own 3 core cable they are also connected to each other by a separate small length of 3 core. why is this?

PS. To move the lower socket i will have to extend the cable tying them both together.

Sponsored Links
I want to move the lower socket but when I open them up, although they have their own 3 core cable they are also connected to each other by a separate small length of 3 core. why is this?

PS. To move the lower socket i will have to extend the cable tying them both together.

This sounds like they are all part of a ring final circuit which, if true, is absolutely fine. Are all the cables Twin & Earth 2.5mm CSA?

To be sure of the cable size and the ring theory, can you post some pictures?

Do you mean they are both on the Ring (final circuit)?

That is they have one cable coming in and then another going to the next socket on the circuit.

both sockets have a single cable coming from the ceiling with one earth, neutral and live plus the additional cable that links them together (with E, L, N)

sockets aren't open at the moment, unable to get pictures just yet.

Sponsored Links
both sockets have a single cable coming from the ceiling with one earth, neutral and live plus the additional cable that links them together (with E, L, N)

OK, that is a ring final circuit. You can move the socket but keep the wiring the same or it may be easier to leave the lower socket where it is and run a spur from it using a single t&e 2.5mm CSA cable.

EDIT, whatever you do, always keep the link between the two sockets since removing it will cause your ring final circuit to become abnormally loaded with risk of fire.

The problem I have is that the new cabinet will completely block the lower socket so i wont be able to get to it anymore.

Why is it a ring final, what's the purpose?

The problem I have is that the new cabinet will completely block the lower socket so i wont be able to get to it anymore.

A ring final circuit (often called incorrectly a ring-main) is defined by the power sockets being connected in a daisy chain arrangement which allows load current to be shared by two cables rather than one. You must not break the link.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:socket_circuits:a1_ring_final_circuit

You will need to replace one of the cable drops that goes to the socket you want to move. In other words you need to make it longer with a longer replacement. If you will not be able to reach the original position then you can not join the cable at that point because all connections must be accessible.

You have to find the socket that the drop originates from and run in a new cable from there to the new socket position then replace the short length of cable which completes the ring final circuit.

The circuit is wired in a ring - from the consumer unit, around the building and back to the CU.
The sockets can be placed anywhere on this ring so they all have two cables connected.
It enables twice the capacity of a single cable (roughly) to be used or, conversely, half the thickness (CSA) of a single cable.

If you are adding new cables buried less than 50mm and not of an earthed armoured construction then you will need to ensure such cables are RCD protected.

You will need to verify that you do indeed have a ring (or not) andthat it is intact.

If in England or Wales then you must comply with Part P too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back