Is this allowed?

It could I suppose but the backbox would have to be very deep for there to be enough room to get the conduit in behind the AV plate and it would make replacing the box if needed later a nightmare.

Sponsored Links
Out of interest, if mains and data cables can share the same chase if they are in different conduits, why can't a mains cable in a conduit go through a TV backbox?

It could but a 20mm conduit passing though a backbox could be a cause for a couple of problems. There's a good chance you won't get the face plate to sit flush and I wouldn't like to be the person who may have to change the backbox one day!

Looks like Plugwash beat me to it - I should read page 2 before replying! :oops:

Unfortunately if you dogleg the cable arroudn the top of the TV outlet it will be outside the safe zones (only just outside but outside nonetheless)

You could always do it in steel conduit that way safe zones are no longer a concern.

The only possible cause for concern would be the corner as it'll be fine at both sides of the TV plate and fine above the TV plate. I doubt anybody would be drilling within 10mm or so of the corner of the TV faceplate.

Steel conduit is a good idea though.

I'm not happy with using steel conduit, as I already have enough PVC left over from another job to do this and steel requires tooling that I don't have or want to buy just for one job.

I suppose the question is, what would the experts on here do? It's a 1950's first floor flat, with the floorboards running perpendicular to the wall, none have ever been cut before. It will be behind a TV unit probably. Horizontal runs seems like the most sensible option to me.

Colin C

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if the regs don't prohibit you from running the T+E through the TV backbox if it's in conduit, but as has been mentioned it might cause problems in the future (although how often do you change a TV backbox?

Why not buy a deep backbox and bury it as deep as you can, stick a piece of conduit through it and see how much room you've got left and if the face plate will sit flush?

The only possible cause for concern would be the corner as it'll be fine at both sides of the TV plate and fine above the TV plate..
I thought the safe zones created by an accessory only applied to cables going to/from that accessory.

I see it as horizontally or vertically to other accessories, safe zones or vertically towards the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back