Is this an airlock in my power shower?

Sponsored Links
Ah ok, so how can I test the check valve?

The main difference is that a non-return valve has less resistance than a check valve.

If it is a check valve, I'd remove it and replace with a non-return valve. Check valves are used for backflow prevention (to maintain water quality). The test point is used to ensure the valve closes if flow is reversed, ie not much help in your situation.

What model of pump do you have? Looks like a Salamander but unsure of the model no..

James.

What model of pump do you have? Looks like a Salamander but unsure of the model no.

It is a salamander ct50 twin.

A quick scan through the manual shows that a NRV is only required if the pump is above the hot water cylinder. Is the shower it serves the only outlet from the pump? Are all outlets from the pump at least 600mm below the water level in the header tank?

Salamander CT50 installation manual:

http://www.salamanderpumps.co.uk/Media/Default/PDFs/CT_Pump_Installation_Guide.pdf

James.

Sponsored Links
A quick scan through the manual shows that a NRV is only required if the pump is above the hot water cylinder. Is the shower it serves the only outlet from the pump? Are all outlets from the pump at least 600mm below the water level in the header tank?

Yes it only serves the shower and the header tank is two floors up.

Ok, so that valve is not required. As the problem is with the hot and the valve is installed on the hot pipework, it will not harm the system to remove this valve.

Before refilling, I'd be tempted to remove the shower valve as before and then check flow through hot and cold supplies. If the shower area is enclosed, I'd be tented to shut the door and give the pump a quick switch on then back of again whilst the shower is still removed.

If this is all ok and the shower still does not work when refitted, replace the shower thermostatic cartridge.

James.

Ok thanks james I'll try that. Will have to go buy a bigger spanner then!

I'm pretty convinced (for what my opinion is worth) that it is not the shower control as I could not get good flow through the hot pipe even when I connected the hot outlet to the cold outlet from the pump.

Would the valve in question cause the 'pulsating' of the pump when only the hot side is on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back