Is this an electrical problem ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Getting totally baffled by the following problem.

OK bought a car just over a week ago. First night after work on way home, lights dim out and the whole car shuts down. Calls neighbour to come start me. After jump lead start, car goes great. Next day goes to work , cuts out on reaching work car park. Calls the garage where it came from, and the guy says its a dying battery, so he jumps it and takes it away and changes it.

Runs ok next day but on 2nd day shuts down again in almost the same place. Once again, neighnour comes out and jump starts it and gets it home. Next morning, starts ok so takes it straight to the garage. He takes it to auto electrician who thinks its the alternator. So,changes the alternator and all seems ok. Until last night that is when it shut down on my way back from family. Once again got it jumped and its running ok now but no doubt it will shut down again.

The only visible sign that something is not working is the light indicator which says that the reg plate lights are not on but when i look they are.

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this problem

Sponsored Links
This was a common problam og MK3 golfs. It was due to the main ignition relay in the fuse box. You could tell which one it was by how hot it got. Sorry but I don't know about the Fiat.

Sponsored Links
Mainstar said:
Once again, neighnour comes out and jump starts it and gets it home.

how far do you live form your neighbour?!

Sounds like it could be loose earth connection/wire/terminal - i.e. whole system goes off due to one of the above,then the jump start manages to remake the circuit.
May be worth checking the earth lead from the battery onto the car body.

Check the alternator is doing its job with a volt-meter across the battery while the engine is running. should be around 13 or preferably 14 Volts.
12V or less suggests that the battery isn't charging well or at all.

Back