Is this Artex?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. My partner and I bought a 1930s home a few months ago and we have been stripping off the old textured wallpaper - we are confident the wallpaper is asbestos free. However, when scraping around the window which was replaced with uPVC double glazing (we believe around the 1980s) there seems to be this crumbly white textured plaster. Does anyone know if this is Artex or possibly contains asbestos. We have booked in an asbestos survey next week but I am a bit panicked that I’ve inadvertently been breathing in asbestos particles for the last 2 days.
IMG_1601.jpeg
IMG_1600.jpeg
IMG_1602.jpeg

Sponsored Links
It looks like artex and may or may not contains asbestos, the only way to know is to have it tested. I used this company and test came back in about a week or so. Just don't disturb it anymore until test came back if you are that worried.

Best to test

but - if it is the only example in the house, it could well be an alternative type that was basically gritty paint from a DIY shed.

i did a sample by post on some bitumen based fixative and they emailed the result.
you could cover with clingfilm as a temporary measure and use duct tape. Don’t hoover anything up.
use a plant sprayer to damp any dust down.

Yes that's artex. I'd put £100 on that at 2-1 that it don't contain asbestos as it looks too creamy and smooth. I'm not a gambler either..

For peace of mind get it tested though to be sure.. cheap enough and only way to tell

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. It’s gone very powdery as the area has been exposed to damp for a long time - I am not sure if that points towards containing asbestos or not. I’ve booked in a survey but they can only do next week so I am left in a bit of a state of panic and dread until then.

Right I’ve found a date of manufacture for the window and it was installed in or after March 1998, and the plaster/coating was done after that date as it’s on the window frame. That’s making me a feel a little better as I believe Artex started phasing out asbestos in the 1980s. So although it doesn’t guarantee anything and the survey is booked in for next week, I am feeling a little better that it may not in fact contain the deadly substance. We are going to get everything else examined in the house next week during the survey and hopefully there’s no other areas we need to worry about (although we have only worked in this room so far). Thanks for the advice all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back