Re-plaster an artex ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to skim over two of my artex ceilings. From what I've read, there is a possibility the artex contains asbestos, so I rather be on the safe side. I'm thinking of spraying the ceiling with a water spray and scrape off all the spikes thus possibly avoiding dust. There are loads of spikes, some even over 10mm long! Is that a good way of doing it or is there a better solution?
I'm trying to avoid a wallpaper stripper since I've heard it could blow some areas of the ceiling.

How could I cover the cracks properly if I use plastering tape over such uneven texture?

I have included 3 pics.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Those cracks will still come through a bit of scrim tape cant hold them back

If you are worried about Artex containing asbestos,pehaps you can send a small sample off for testing to be absolutely sure what you are dealing with

The other option is to board over existing ceilings and skim..!! ;) Or tape the cracks with 2 layers of 4" scrim tape set into a tight bonding coat and a tight bonding coat over the ceiling then skim over the lot. Obviously you must have the usual "Prep" work done before the Bonding coat..

Sponsored Links
Saycheese5,

How did this go, what method did you use in the end please?
I am thinking of doing the same thing on our bathroom ceiling.

Bern

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back