Is this as terrible as it looks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had a nightmare with this roofer from the moment he showed up.

He's also just been awful demanding his money (the majority of which I've paid) despite him not finishing the job yet and leaving my property like a pig sty.

QUESTION: Am. I going to have loads of problems with this roof?

There's fibre sticking up on many sections of it.

On the edges The fibre matting isn't pulled straight and is not lying flat against the timber beneath.

I only have a part way photo, but will have more photos tomorrow when it's light.

Grateful for thoughts

This is Part Way - after One Coat of Top Coat (they did two)

Sponsored Links
Yes you are. The bit that isn't topcoated yet- you can see that the resin hasn't been properly consolidated into the mat. The white bits will have air underneath, any weight on them will likely crack what little resin has been applied and cause a leak.
The topcoat- you only put one coat on, you should just be able to see fibres in it (but only just). Topcoat on topcoat causes discolouration, unless they sanded and acetone-washed the first topcoat before applying the 2nd it'll flake off after a while.
Very risky doing GRP this time of year, everything has to be bone dry or the laminate will fail. Those shiny patches on the topcoat- is that water or wet topcoat?
Black topcoat isn't a particularly good idea either, it'll capture a lot of heat from sunlight and may make your roof very noisy.
If you've paid any money for that job you've been robbed.

Sponsored Links
That eaves finish is rough as. You buy preformed trims to do that job.
EPDM- You might be able to but you'd have to sand the grp flat- any spikey bits sticking up will puncture the membrane. I'm also not sure if the epdm adhesive will bond to grp.
I'd be on to Trading Standards and small claims first- that is not a job carried out with any level of competence worth paying for.

Winter isn't the right time of year for fibre glass roofing.
Yeah, I’ve had GRP jobs done in the winter - the contractors used to pick a dry day, then they would go over the whole roof with a gas torch to dry it fully.

If it rains during the job it can ruin it.

Bad timing, high humidity and moisture in the board has been the whole reason fibre glass roofs have such a bad reputation over the years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back