Is this asbestos in fireplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Just moved into rented house and moved some furniture away from the fireplace, looked up it and saw the attached. Seems to go up at least 60cm as far as I can see. The rest of the fireplace is brick.

Should I be worried?

Sponsored Links
I doubt it in some pics it looks like a concrete slab in others a breeze block neither contain asbestos to my knowledge.
No harm in checking with the landlord but it would not strike me as like any asbestos I have seen.

Thanks, I really don't know much about asbestos expect that it is very dangerous, and I have known others who have found it in their fireplaces!

As above.
Its not asbestos, it looks like a concrete lintel but how it fits in with the scheme of things in your fireplace is difficult to say. OP, how can we possibly know what we are looking at if there is no context for the pics?

Perhaps reminding your landlord to have the flue(s) swept might do more for your health and safety than concern about whatever is supporting part of your chimney breast?

Sponsored Links
Apologies, the photos were taken looking directly up the chimney breast.

Like I said, I have no knowledge in this area, so didn't even know where to begin!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back