Asbestos pipe from concrete firplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

i am having to take my front room floor up to tackle some serious damp issues. The previous owner of the property removed the original fireplace and chimney from the house. below the wooden floor there is an old concrete footing/plinth the fireplace must have stood on from this there is an asbestos pipe that then disappears out through the house wall.

Is this just an old fireplace drain pipe that can be removed observing the correct precautions when dealing with asbestos obviously?

Any ideas what it is there for?

Cheers

DaveJ

Sponsored Links
It sounds like its been the underfloor air supply for the fire, Dave.
If you are going to shift any asbestos, make sure its well dampened first, and you have a quality mask. Breaking the stuff with a hammer won't create dust.
John :)

It sounds like its been the underfloor air supply for the fire, Dave.
If you are going to shift any asbestos, make sure its well dampened first, and you have a quality mask. Breaking the stuff with a hammer won't create dust.
John :)

Cheers John. Was thinking that myself actually, but then was wondering where the hell the air gets into the pipe under the ground outside? having just had another look at it there is not fall on it either so if it was a drain it wasn't a very efficient one :eek:

Will try and take a picture of it.

Cheers

DaveJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back