Back boiler asbestos panel concern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping for some reassurance from someone who is more knowledgeable than me about chimneys/flues etc. Apologies in advance for the essay. We are renovating our 1930s semi and I've just been re-reading our asbestos management survey. It was incredibly stressful buying the house and I think I was just relieved they didn't find anything major - so I suppose I just glossed over this part and forgot about it:

'No access was possible within the chimney breast associated with this property and previous
experience of similar properties to this that may once of had a back-boiler heating system
would suggest that it is likely that an asbestos soffit panel is likely to exist around the flue
pipe.'

Anyway, as I said, I didn't really pay close attention to this at the time (regretting it now). Our fireplace was blocked up & had a gas fire fitted on the outside. We had the gas capped, opened up the fireplace and didn't find anything except one narrow pipe at floor level (gas supply?). You can see it in IMG_5160 if you look closely. Nothing could be seen by looking up into the chimney, but admittedly we didn't do a very thorough investigation. We had a new concrete lintel and woodburning stove installed by registered fitters, including a new flue liner.

My question is, would they have been able to fit the flue liner if there was a soffit remaining in the flue from a previous back burner? Surely this would have been a significant obstruction? No issues were mentioned on the day, and no notable debris ie. cracked boards came out of the chimney.

Does anyone have experience of this type of panel from removing a back boiler themselves? (and knows how high up it would be fitted?)
I've attached pictures of the fireplace when we were knocking it out. And a diagram which I think shows what this panel would look like on a back boiler(?)
I hope this makes sense, appreciate there probably isn't a set 'answer' just maybe hoping for some discussion that could put my mind at rest.

Attachments

• 1BE9DDFC-A22D-4522-BE37-287017EBB23D.JPG
    1BE9DDFC-A22D-4522-BE37-287017EBB23D.JPG
    317.4 KB · Views: 79
  • F065455D-2B88-4C6A-B53E-D821B2DA72CC.JPG
    F065455D-2B88-4C6A-B53E-D821B2DA72CC.JPG
    275.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5160.JPG
    IMG_5160.JPG
    436.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5545.JPG
    IMG_5545.JPG
    433.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6598.JPG
    IMG_6598.JPG
    310.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 12.22.42.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 12.22.42.png
    495.9 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back