Removal of old boiler vent pipe - Asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've just had an old boiler removed from the kitchen and now have an open vent pipe running from the kitchen wall (with a grille on it) up through the house out the roof. The engineer told me not to fill it in due to condensation.

In the loft, the pipe is in the middle and restricts access to the loftspace. What I want to do is remove the section from the floor to where it connects to the part which is fitted in the roof and put a vent in the loft floor so the pipe is still venting. I foresee no problem with this part (please advise me if I'm wrong).

Below shows the bit in the loft which I want to remove. I am concerned the pipe in the middle may be asbestos however...
Can someone please confirm if this looks to be the case?

The blocks at the bottom appear to be concrete so what I had planned to do is remove these and take the pipe it to my local waste centre for disposal. Before I do it, is this safe to do please?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
It sure looks like asbestos pipe - the cemented asbestolux kind.
I've no idea why it should vent through your roof though - has it been used as a hood extractor at some time?
John :)

It looks like asbestos cement pipe, the joints may well contain asbestos rope (which is a high risk material) packed in and covered with fireclay, it will run to a ridge terminal very common practice 1960-80s

footprints

Re-reading your post, putting a vent in the floor of the loft connected via the old duct to the kitchen would seem to be a fire risk, any fire in the kitchen will send heat and smoke straight up to the loft space.

As far as the removal is concerned my view would be that more asbestos will be released into the house by removing it than simply leaving it in place.
Either leave well alone or get a GOOD professional company to do the work and get them to explain exactly how well they will clean the area.

My daughter had an asbestos roof removed, licenced company etc etc.
At the end they swept up with a dry broom, when this was questioned the reply was "well if you want a full enviromental clean up that will be more expensive"!

Keep safe, regards,
footprints

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies guys.
Sound advice and I hadn't considered the fire risk from the kitchen.
I think I will leave it as it is and work around it.

Thanks all.

You could have it cut at loft level and redirected to eaves with metal flue pipe.

I'm still puzzled what this pipe was for in the first place..... :confused:
no problem with blanking it off at the grille end though.

Ahh right - so its the original flue, that was left at the bottom with a grille fitted after the boiler was removed? Got ya ;)

I would imagine your contractor suggested leaving the flue open so as to prevent any dampness forming within it, but certainly if it was mine I'd blank it off from below.
After all, its forming a chimney direct to the outside so there must be some updraught.

I'm still puzzled what this pipe was for in the first place..... :confused:
no problem with blanking it off at the grille end though.

I'd have thought it was the flue from the original warm air heating system. ( I used to live in a property that had a warm air system and the flue looked almost the same as this one) Even went through the roof as in the pics. ;) ;)

Its the flue which was on the back of a very old gas boiler that was situated in the kitchen and heated the central heating and hot water.

Ridge terminals are much better than chimney pots at preventing rain entering the flue. I have an open one in a property where the flue, which in this case was galvanized steel, was removed completely to allow a new vertical balanced flue to pass through the ceiling. I monitored it for 6 months with a bucket underneath it and no water entered, so you may well get away with closing off the bottom opening, but keep an eye on the route of the flue through the building. If you see any trace of damp patches appearing you may need to open it up again.

Although the top is open there will be no circulation through the flue unless air can enter at the bottom.

Regards,
footprints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back