Asbestos Ridge Terminal Pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ridge terminal pipe i think may be asbestos, the house was built in 1970 and previously had a warm air system which im guessing extracted through this pipe in the loft.
I would like to fit an extractor in the bathroom below and connect to this pipe with flexi duct and a jubilee clip.
My question is, does anyone know if this pipe is likely to be asbestos? if it is would it be dangerous to connect up to it or am i best to have it removed/leave it alone?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Ridge Terminal Pipe.JPG
    Ridge Terminal Pipe.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 198
Sponsored Links
99% sure it is asbestos cement, I would leave alone myself.

Thanks for the advice, i will find another route for the extractor

You will have no problem quickly connecting to it if you try not to mess about too much and end up disturbing the cement.

Wrap the external face in duct tape, slide the duct on and clip it.

In context, its a very low content of the larger fibre type, and the fibre is bound with the cement - so its a low risk.

Sponsored Links
I doubt an extractor duct will fit 4" AC without a bit of messing about, I would leave it as good loft ventilation myself and discharge the extractor lower where the vent can be more easily accessed if it becomes blocked with fluff.

I would look at removing it but im guessing as it is a ridge terminal and the property is 3 stories (town house) they would require scaffolding which will turn it into an expensive job.
I do not have any experience with warm air systems, im guessing the asbestos pipe ran all the way to the main unit on the ground floor? as there is another piece of pipe in a downstairs cupboard which has been left and a cable run through (see photo) this i assume would be asbestos also?

Cheers

Attachments

• Cupboard Pipe.JPG
    Cupboard Pipe.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 134
Yes that is asbestos too, no need to worry too much about it maybe just box it in.
Warm air units were very popular in the 60's & 70's usually fitted centrally in the house, often incorporating a small gas circulator for hot water and flued up to the ridge in asbestos cement or steel flue.
Other places to be aware of potential asbestos in properties of that era are linings of the compartment and the access door, the soffits under the gutter, thermoplastic (marley) floor tiles (very low risk) and textured ceilings.
No need to panic just avoid disturbing them most boards are usually over painted which seals them just avoid sanding when repainting.

Forgot to say I had some quotes to remove one (in this case it was a clay and steel ridge terminal) it was silly money I just left it alone.
Perhaps if you need work done on the roof at a later date get it added to the job, and say you will dispose of it your self, most councils will accept it for free from a householder while a tradesman will have to pay heavily.

That's great info thanks. i think those pipes are all that is remaining, plus some ducting in the ground floor which has had fireboard and laminate laid over, there seems to be no ducts in the second floor, not been able to check the first floor (floor was already down) i have read these ducts can be in asbestos lagging also..

Attachments

• Floor ducts.JPG
    Floor ducts.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 129
Most ducts are steel, I have only once come across asbestos ducting in a house in Dulwich many years ago, but you are wise to be careful.(y)

I doubt an extractor duct will fit 4" AC without a bit of messing about, I would leave it as good loft ventilation myself and discharge the extractor lower where the vent can be more easily accessed if it becomes blocked with fluff.

The OP can use a rubber undergound pipe connector with jubilee clips or push-fit, or perhaps a push-fit toilet pan connector.

If he is connecting an expanding plastic fan duct (the cheap while things) then he splits 100mm at the end to allow it to go around the cement pipe, and then seals it with duct tape. It's really really simple and safe to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back