Is this gas pipe safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We asked our plumber to chase some pipes into the wall in preparation for redecoration. I think it is a gas pipe and a condensate pipe. I have attached an image and just wanted to check that it is all above board and safe to chase a gas pipe as he has done surrounded by some sort of foam? Obviously we are also concerned about plaster cracking etc in the future but mainly is it allowed to be done this way?

He hasn't fully connected up the condensate pipe etc. yet, still a work in progress!

Attachments

• 2017-02-22-PHOTO-00012744.jpg
    2017-02-22-PHOTO-00012744.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 384
Sponsored Links
Lol - thanks for the replies that's good to know

Electrician is coming tomo, so that's all a work in progress!!

Sponsored Links
What is the obsession with chasing pipes all about?

How will the presence of the hidden gas pipe be made clear to people such as kitchen fitters and DIYers who will be drilling into the wall to fix kitchen units and / or shelves.

Yes Dan Really

Electricity regulations require cables to be run in "safe zones" to reduce the risk of then being damaged by nails and screws. Sometimes the damage is immediately noticable, bang, fizzle, fuses blowing, screw driver becoming Live and other indications.

A screw or nail into a gas pipe could result in a slow release of gas that goes un-noticed.

Yet you really considered the same "protection should not be given to gas pipes hidden behind plaster.. If GasSafe practises accept buried and un-marked gas pipes then GasSafe is a bit less than safe.

I suppose the regulations concerning gas pipe installation expect people to use common sense, ie mark the wall where the gas pipe is, put a steel plate if your that concerned (but you don't HAVE to) be careful when drilling into walls , primarily the regs are to stop a build up of gas within walls under floors ect not to protect from stupidity.

kind enough to post the relevant information from the British standards recently?

I would but I am not paying £200 to get a copy, and then it might be copyright protected.

Odd isn't it that a copy of a safety standard can cost so much. One would think that documents that are considered essential legislation to ensure health and safety would be available at a much lower price.

I would but I am not paying £200 to get a copy, and then it might be copyright protected.

Odd isn't it that a copy of a safety standard can cost so much. One would think that documents that are considered essential legislation to ensure health and safety would be available at a much lower price.

Who pays to produce them?

And seeing as the point of my last post has shot so far over your head it's confused air traffic control, I'll be clearer.

I POSTED THE RELEVANT EXTRACT FROM THE STANDARDS A WHILE AGO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back